Maintaining a Healthy Heart
Heart disease is pretty common in dogs and cats. Aging, obesity, breed, and nutrition all play a role. That's why it is important to spot the signs as early as possible.
The following symptoms are common among many types of heart diseases affecting dogs and cats.
- Persistent cough
- Fainting – which can look like a seizure
- Shortness of breath
- Rapid tiring or fatigue
- Behaviour changes such as poor appetite, or isolation
You can keep your pets’ heart as healthy as possible by:
- Keeping your pet at a healthy weight.
- Regular cardiac exercises such as walking, running, playing, swimming, etc. can help your fluffy friends to stay happy and healthy.
- A balanced diet including Omega-3 fatty acids, Protein, B vitamins and amino acids such as Taurine are needed to support a healthy heart.
- Regular veterinary visits to help with an early diagnosis and to monitor your pet’s heart.
- Some breeds are more prone to heart disease, so being vigilant of their particular symptoms is crucial.